Sunday, January 08, 2006

Working Hard

Someone is getting pregnant, two-somes in fact. At a social gathering today, one relative asked me to "Jia You" (work hard in Chinese). "Jia You" to earn money I replied with a smile. I am regretting my rude reply and blaming my quick nature for it.

Is it a road that all women must trod? My family and social make-up tells me not so, but my biological clock says otherwise. Pregnancy is a personal or couple thing, not an extended family thing, I felt. Not sure if I was brought up to think this way or a sole selfishness on my part. Sure, potential grandparents would garner support for it. TV and government advertisements would advocate how complete the family would be and how your life would be fulfilled.

The nine months carrying of the child and the effect on my body is on the mother. The whole life commitment and responsibility falls on both mother and father.

One trend I saw was when someone is getting pregnant, the well-meaning elder ladies would, on good intent, give advice on this and that and ask this and that. Hope they do not get hurt when their advice falls on deaf ears as some are pure old wives’ tales. The more disheartening part comes when the grandparents just want to have grandchildren to keep them occupied and throws concern for the mother out of the window.

Who knows, I may be guilty of these as well and in the future. My clock is ticking but I may remain status quo for the rest of my life. Well, we will have to see how life turns out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
THE SLY ONE said...

Dont be pressurise to do what others expect of u. Just go with the flow.

Anonymous said...

no right or wrong but guess u really have to make up your mind loh cos our biological clock really would not wait for us to tak our time. feedback from friends who conceived in their 30s felt the difference as compared to when they had their first in the 20s... but if u hv made up your mind not to have then stand by it loh.