My cousin is getting married. He is 27 this year and his wife is a korean. Wonder if he has also caught the korean fever as well. He was posted to Korea for a working attachment. His parents (who are my uncle and auntie) knew he had a girlfriend in Korea and was given the impression that he is going over to meet his girlfriend's family.
To their surprise, he came back with the wedding photos and the korean wedding ceremony consummated. He is now back here arranging for a small dinner affair for close families.
I casually asked my uncle when the ROM would be. My uncle's classic reply was "I do not know. He is getting married, not me." The quote of the day from my good uncle. How open-minded he is or "bochap" if you think in a negative light.
I remember that when I was getting married, I had to book the hotel banquet 1 year in advance. Seat arrangement during the dinner had caused countless internal quarrels between my other half's family and me and my mother. And we have not even talked about the ceremony and rite details.
I secretly envy my cousin and his wife. They will have so much freedom then I could possibly have imagined. When the elder generation passed on, I foresee that we will see more and more open-minded parents. On one hand, we are looking forward to a more open family culture. On the other hand, the old traditions may be lost. Either way, this is a trend that we cannot reverse.
Give up the traditional mindset and you will lose them generation by generation. In exchange, our younger generation will embrace a new culture of flexibility and convenience which leads to more freedom and modern thinking. Whichever we look at it, the world has to change.
No comments:
Post a Comment